It might not be news to most of us, but a recent survey by the home buying and renting website Rightmove, recently discovered that people who are looking for a new home are immediately turned off by a dirty bathroom. In fact 28% of those questioned said that they would find a filthy bathroom offensive.
While some prospective buyers claimed they were put off by colour schemes which were not to their tastes, many ranked disgusting bathrooms as a big problem. This could be because changing a colour scheme is a simple job, but changing an entire bathroom could be seen as difficult.
So, if you are thinking about selling or renting your home, you need to pay particular attention to the bathroom. This could mean simply making sure it is clean and tidy – or it could mean an entire makeover. Both of these options can be done in a short space of time and may not even cost you very much to achieve.
The bathroom clean
Spending a full day in the bathroom, getting it meticulously clean could really pay off if you are selling up. It involves some elbow grease, but the following tips could make it a little easier:
- Use a limescale remover to get rid of built up scale around taps, plugs, shower screens and tiles. Vinegar works well or a product designed for the job if you don’t have concerns about the chemicals.
- Buff your tiles with a window cleaner – this will make them look extra shiny and clean. It will also help to bounce the light around the room.
- Remove every trace of dust or hair from every surface – even in cupboards and behind the toilet or sink.
- Clean the windows (inside and out) and vacuum the extractor fan and light fittings.
The bathroom makeover
You may not want to replace your bathroom suite, but you can certainly add a few touches to your bathroom which will make it look like new. Try these tips for cheap and easy bathroom makeover ideas:
- Remove and replace the grout on your tiles. A grout whitener may also achieve the same aim of making the tiles and grout appear new.
- Replace any bathroom blind or curtain with something in a modern and vibrant colour. Use this colour as a theme for the rest of your bathroom accessories including towels and shower curtain if used.
- Replace the taps on your bath and sink. Sparkling new taps can really boost the room and will look clean and new.
- Buy a new showerhead and hose. These can quickly lose their shine and a new one will give the impression of a new shower.
- Consider re-tiling the floor or adding new vinyl. This is easy to do without removing the bathroom suite and once again will make the entire room look new and fresh.
- A new light fitting with a bright light will brighten the room and add a modern touch. Good lighting is essential in a bathroom and your buyers will appreciate this.
Of course your third option is to simply pull out your old bathroom and install a new one. However, if you are selling your home, you know that it is an expensive business and you need to maximise the return on your investment. So having a clean and modern bathroom will certainly be enough to encourage buyers to remember your home above others they may be looking at.
It may be difficult to see past a cluttered or dirty bathroom to see what the bare bones of the bathroom are. Make sure that you don’t make the mistake of having a dirty bathroom when you are showing potential buyers around your home.